August 3, 2017D on’t be scared of Swine flu. But, it has once again outbroke in Nepal. The flu has taken seven lives in Nepal in 2017. The flu broke in the major cities of Nepal i.e. Kathmandu, Pokhara and Syangja. The disease cost 1 life in Syangja, 2 lives in Kathmandu and 3 lives in Pokhara city.
Swine Flu: Facts
- Caused by H1N1 and H3N2v influenza virus
- A respiratory disease caused by influenza viruses
- Infects the respiratory tract
- First observed in Mexico in 2009
- Incubation period is about 1 to 4 days from the first infection
- Most serious complication of the flu is Pneumonia
How is it transmitted:
- From person to person by inhalation or ingestion of droplets. So to be aware of someone persistently sneezing or coughing.
- Fever (100 F or greater)
- Nasal secretions
- Zanamivir (Relenza)
- Oseltamivir (Tamiflu)
These remedies help to prevent or reduce the effects of swine flu if taken within the 48 hours from the first infection.
What should be done to Relief from Flu:
- Get plenty of rest.
- Drink plenty of water or other liquids.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers.
Precautions to be taken
- Frequently washing hands with sanitizer
- Prevent yourself from touching nose, mouth or eyes
- Avoid large gathering if the flu is in the season
Recommendation: Use mask whenever you get out of the home and prevent yourself from being in a mass.